Monday, August 3, 2015

On Lonely Saturday Afternoons


I am rereading Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood and I realize that most of my Saturdays are very much like Toru Watanabe's Sundays. On Saturdays, I do the laundry in the morning and spend the rest of the afternoon in idle, infinite, solitude. I'd read a book, or listen to music - basically filling the void that life has left inside me.

Self-help articles have taught me that enjoying alone time is the best way to cure loneliness and emptiness, but how exactly do you do enjoy loneliness? Should you just stare at white, low ceilings after the day's work is done? Do you read literature or listen to music, when technically, these are not personal thoughts but other people's musings of their own alone time that are cleverly etched on paper or tunes?

How do you become alone with your own thoughts and not get scared that these will drown you and suck all the sunshine away on bright, sunny Saturday afternoons? In fact, what does it even mean to be alone in a universe that is a potpourri of atoms and imaginings?

I guess the old mantra that 'no one is alone' is truer than in seems.

2 comments:

  1. Still trying to figure out whether this loneliness is a choice where we let ourselves be enmeshed or is it just a prerequisite to our existence, to confirm our humanity, to which no one is immune. Does this trendy quarter-life crisis had to do with it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that a lot of what's going on in our lives right now are the direct (and indirect) results of the choices we've made in the past. Loneliness, I feel, is essential to better understand oneself. Maybe loneliness is God's way of letting you dissect your past to pave the way for a better future :)

      Delete