Thursday, October 2, 2014

Dear Smoker


Yesterday was terrible. It was the third of my 24-hour allergy installment and the cigarette smoke puffed by one of your comrades at the public market this morning only made matters worse. My eyes were watery and the unbearable heat is making me squeeze my lids tighter together. Seeing was difficult. And so was breathing as mucus dripped, incredibly clear and sticky, from my innocent nostrils. One concern was that sometimes there were red fragments on the mucus. I probably scratched my nose or sneezed too hard, but nonetheless, it was a paranoia-inducing experience. And that's not to mention the splitting headache and the eternal sleepiness involved whenever the allergy attacks. Doing anything was impossible that I had no choice but to succumb to bed if reading and writing and watching TV and surfing the internet were already unbearable.

And so, as a person whose main concern is to live a long, healthy, and happy life, I am pleading thou cigarette enthusiasts to indulge on thy vices more privately. Now first of all, I have nothing against you. I even know smokers who are a lot more successful than those who don't; and I am pretty much aware that we'll die in one way or another anyway whether we smoke or not. My plea therefore is a plea of sensitivity. I am humbly asking you to consider the environment before lighting your stick.

Allergies can be triggered by a lot of things - dust, pollen, or upon consistent nose rubbing - but cigarette smoke has a very special way of tickling and irritating noses (for me, at least). I am begging you. Please. At least do it whenever nonsmokers and/or people with allergies are not around. Because once we start sneezing, we never stop.

Sincerely,

Nonsmoker/Someone with allergies

6 comments:

  1. I don't condemn smokers for being smokers. My only concern are the nonsmokers who are not used to the smell and the discomfort it brings to their nostrils. I hope they become more conscious of their surroundings and the people around them.

    Para yatang umabot dito ang smell ng cigarette smoke ah! >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should at least smoke responsibly. Huhu.

      Delete
  2. Smokers now need to have more concern for those around them now that we are all very health conscious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of us just want to breathe properly, that's all. I'm not asking them to stop nor am I condoning them for choosing to smoke despite health concerns. I think it's a personal choice. I just want them to at least be sensible around people who don't enjoy cigarette smoke.

      Delete
  3. I smoke occasionally, mostly when I'm offered a stick. But I rarely finish it. I feel you. I don't like inhaling another person's unfiltered smoke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it's something that shouldn't be shared with everybody. Smoking is a personal thing and it should stay that way.

      Delete