Sunday, September 7, 2014

On Fashion

*This is not my illustration.*

My aesthetics as a wannabe designer began with red carpet and pageant dressing featuring billowing volumes of pastel chiffon and a generous amount of embellishments. My designs were amateur, drawing inspiration generally from haute couture, fashion week photos and basically copying other designers' vision for the season (usually Valentino, Elie Saab, Dior and Versace). It was a terrible case of not knowing who I am and who my woman is.

Recently though, when the worlds of Dries Van Noten, Alexander Wang, Kenzo, Balenciaga, Lanvin and Givenchy clashed in my temples, I become acquainted with the woman I want to dress. Judging from these great aesthetics, I've come to terms with the reality that everyday women do not always go to red carpet events.It is important therefore that I design clothes that women can be practical with; clothes than girls can move around in; clothes that can transcend from sunrise to sunset, street to chic; and more importantly, clothes that make the woman feel good.

It took a considerable amount of contemplation and training to shift my focus from evening wear to everyday wear though because I can never really give up on sparkles (I mean, let's face it. I'm gay). The solution therefore was a clash of evening and everyday.

So far my designer dreams are in a cupboard bound to be entertained in the future. No fret though. I wouldn't want it to come out when I still don't know how to pattern clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment