Monday, November 25, 2013

The Silence of Onyok


My school was fortunate enough to be given the chance to screen the critically acclaimed masterpiece, 'Boses' and despite my near-stampede experience upon entering the film's screening location, I would definitely say that it was all worth it.

'Boses' revolves around the mute and emotionally and physically abused Onyok who turns into a musical prodigy. More than just a story of a genius, it is a film that advocates against violence on children while cleverly weaving the power of forgiveness as the main ingredient in the process of healing.

Some scenes were a bit too calculated for my taste though, like the beach scene where Onyok slowly moves closer to his teacher to accompany him in a violin duet. I also wished there was more ruminations or realizations of greater truths for Onyok's teacher to heal his own broken heart (or I probably could have missed this part in the movie). But other than that, I was deeply moved by the film's general naturalness: cinematography and humor.  Onyok and Shirley's friendship was definitely icing on top of the cake balancing the heaviness of the film's subject. And Ricky Davao's epiphany when he hears Onyok play the violin at the ending was definitely orgasm to the artsy heart.

All in all, 'Boses' proves to be one exceptional Filipino film that showcases a healthy art industry; something that people like me wouldn't mind watching all over again.

4 comments:

  1. sounds like a really good movie, when is it coming to theaters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it premiered on July 31? Hehe. It was an entry on the 2013 Cinemalaya Fest though I heard the film's from 2008 pa.

      Delete
  2. I really want to watch this. Violins and good stories are love. :D

    ReplyDelete