Friday, April 26, 2013

Mortality Rate


Today I massacred a few dozen black ants. It was a painless, quick extermination with simply a wish of wet cloth and a bath of dishwashing liquid. The bubbles froth on the grey rug which seems to evoke the souls of the deceased insects, still unable to comprehend the immediate death they just encountered.

My hands reek of invisible blood, permeating the air in various convulsions. Nausea-ish, I finished washing the dishes and contemplated the number of lives eliminated by these same hands: four kittens, a few hundred ants and mosquitoes plus the unknown number of doomed kangkong blossoms and aloe vera I tried to plant with these un-green thumbs.

Blood-stained and guilty as charged, I rinsed what remains of the unseen goo along with the plates and forks we utilized for dinner. By the time we have breakfast on the morrow, our lips and stomachs too will be painted.

4 comments:

  1. wow. they say good writers can write about the most mundane thing and still make it look good. and it looks like someone's got a lot of time in their hands. summer vacay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Summer vacay. Am also reviving this blog since my January, February and March months were a bit unproductive XD

      Delete
  2. people who tend to kill helpless animals are told to have suffer from a repressed childhood trauma. me and my cousin used to douse them in petrol and set them on fire.

    good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make this clear, I did not intend to kill the animals. It was a necessity to keep our kitchen sink clean. And I am gasping in horror at the brutality of your killings. Waaah. But anyway, we all have different ways of dealing with childhood issues. I myself am still struggling with a few of them.

      Delete