Monday, September 26, 2011

Coffee Lust



I have a confession. I'm a coffeeholic and I am insane with its aroma permeating through my senses. That caramel breath is heaven and I taste its heavenly perfection every night like cold water on a hot sunny day. That sensuous wave of euphoria it exudes excites me. Enlivens me. And it takes over my entire body 'just like how marijuana would', I thought naively, not knowing what marijuana tastes like. 

I am in love with coffee and one of my friends said that drinking too much of it is bad. Well, I agree that anything in excess is bad but for the purpose of calming myself down and preventing heart attacks, heart failures, stress, worries, etc., from happening, I took the liberty of researching the benefits and downturns of drinking the wonder drug.

Disclaimer: Most of the items at the bottom are copy-pastes. Please view the whole article at the Infocredit link  at the bottom right of the post.

Coffee benefits, perks and pros: 

  • Increased alertness is the most basic and well known benefit of coffee. This is I think one of the reasons why students-me included- would brew cups of flowing coffee especially during major examinations to improve brain function.
  • Stimulates breathing especially for those who have asthma and bronchitis since caffeine dilates and opens up the airways. 
  • Coffee is also rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help prevent high-blood pressure and premature aging. I personally love this perk.
  • Coffee helps burn calories by boosting up your metabolism. That is minus the sugar and extra whip of cream you add on top. 
  • It treats migraines. Did you know that coffee has components that are actually used in over-the-counter pain relievers?
  • Caffeine causes the kidneys to produce more urine thus helps the body get rid of toxins. 
  • Prevents Type 2 Diabetes, Cancer and Liver Cirhosis because of the different components found in caffeine.
Coffee cons and health risks:
  • Addictive. (This hurts me so bad. >.<)
  • Weight gain because coffee heightens the production of stress hormones in the body which stimulates appetite and craving for high-calorie food. 
  • Anxiety- coffee can over-stimulate the central nervous system causing nervousness and jitters. 
  • Heartburn- coffee is known to trigger stomach acids causing indigestion and heartburn. 
  • Caffeine causes hypoclycemia because it triggers a release of glycogen in the liver. 
  • Excessive consumption of coffee can lead to infertility.
  • Coffee interferes with the proper absorption of nutrients and minerals by the bones thus increasing the risks of osteoporosis.
  • Four or five cups of coffee per day leads to dehydration. Dehydration dries the skin and makes it more prone to wrinkles and stretch marks.
Moderation is key when drinking coffee. It's important to not go beyond what your body can take. As for me, I'll stick with a cup a day and try hard to minimize my addiction. Or maybe I'll try something else with lesser side effects. Who knows, I just might be able to taste marijuana. Hahah. Just kidding :P

 Infocredit  

2 comments:

  1. We all have our measures of liking coffee, mine's still on a tolerable stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe. i'd like to think that my coffee addiction is tolerable.

    ReplyDelete