Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Tale of Two Kittens

It was unexpected when Punsa gave birth to four kittens last Saturday. It would've been fashionable for she gave birth in our closet, but see, we don't really own Dolce's and Gucci's, so the event would only have to be dubbed as unfortunate, messy and well, unfortunate. 

I hated her for doing so. First of all, our clothes! I hate smelly clothes and though it wasn't as bloody as I imagined the birth to be, it still was smelly so I had no choice but to remove everything in our closet. The bed was full and I had to rummage around to find the other kitten-presumably the first born- that Punsa left on our mattress.

With sheer disgust-pardon me- and desire to have a clean clothes rack, I took the liberty of touching her newborns and transferred these to a box which I then took to the room next to mine. I now realized that I just committed the greatest mistake of my life.

How was I supposed to know that you were not supposed to touch a newborn kitten because your smell might linger on its skin and the mother may no longer recognize it? How was I supposed to know that when in the first place, Punsa is not my cat and that it was her first time to give birth in our house?

Two kittens died because of my ignorance. The other two are still battling and though it hurts my ego to say it, I was the reason these innocent lives were suffering.
Ignorance of the law excuses no one. I have blood-stained hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment