Monday, August 8, 2011

Fashio Folio: Aivan the Great

Fashion has been and will always be my religion, and so, to pay homage to the gods of stitching and weaving, I present to you a weekly series that feature my undying love for the most commercial of all arts.

It is to be noted that Aivan Magno's surname came from the Latin term 'magnus' which means great, the root of the words magnificent and magnanimous. It was also the same surname that Alexander the Great used.


Fusing Ifugao Inspired Outfits and Trompe-L’œil Ceilings

credits:http://manilakid.com
photos from: AivanMagno's lookbook and chictopia

You’ll see him sporting a red hair this week, then blue on the next. If he’s not in his Ifugao-inspired outfit, you’ll see him rocking a studded leather jacket or a shredded top. These are some of the few things that make Aivan Magno stand out from your ordinary fashion blogger who gets in front of the camera in an all-branded ensemble. It takes creativity, resourcefulness and authenticity to your personal style to become one of the fastest fashion bloggers to reach the Style Icon position in Chictopia.com.



Interestingly, “wala naman talaga ako sa fashion world.” Backed by a degree in Interior Design and a deeper appreciation of our cultural heritage, Aivan is out to challenge our conventional perception of art from his Ifugao inspired outfits up to his love for trompe-l’œil ceilings and accessory-less spaces. We spent a day with Aivan to know more about the boy with the ever changing hair color and his thoughts on design, culture and the Philippines.

The name Aivan Magno is usually associated with lookbook.nu and chictopia.com. Does your outfit posts reflect your inspiration or the themes of your works in Interior Design and Architecture? Yes, but not all the time. For my outfits, I usually get inspired by other bloggers and models in the runway. While for my works, I have to know first my client’s preferences then I get inspiration from random things around me and give it a twist by adding local motifs.


Without a doubt, you are one of the most creative people we’ve seen. How do you keep your ideas fresh and evolving?
Thank you! I really appreciate it. I’m very blessed to have such hardworking parents to be given the opportunity to see other country’s culture and design scene. It’s all about taking risks and thinking three steps forward.
How far does Filipino Culture inspire your works?
As far as it can go!

You mentioned that you designed your house and its furniture pieces. Tell us more about this – from your inspiration, scope of what to design down to how it was executed and the reaction of your relatives and friends.
It’s actually more like renovating our house. Our house was basically Mediterranean with Philippine Old World details. When my parents decided to renovate our house, I was given the challenge to make it more contemporary. What I did was use my lola’s old lounge chairs and gave them custom made-Roy Lichtenstein’s painting upholstery. I also designed custom made-Andy Warhol curtains for our kitchen. As for their reaction, they can no longer wait for me to graduate and fix their houses!
Your works can be a bit unconventional for the taste of the Filipinos. Do you think the country is ready to receive the works of Aivan Magno?
I’m always ready to collaborate and compromise with their standards!
How are you planning to make a mark in the field of design? What’s your “competitive advantage” over other interior designers?
I always ask myself that question and my answer would always be, sadly, I don’t know. I still have so much to learn when it comes to the technical and business side of ID. My plan would probably be to keep on committing mistakes and hopefully learn a lot from them. My “competitive advantage” over other IDs would be my very supportive and loving family. They are always behind me, pushing me to my full potential.
If you can get a message across all the Filipino youth without being judged, what would it be?
There are so many things to love about our country don’t be blinded and scared to show it.
(To view full interview and story, please visit http://manilakid.com)

Though we're not related, I'm happy we have the same surname :) Kudos Aivan!

No comments:

Post a Comment