Wednesday, December 15, 2010

And the Breather Materialized

And *poof it did materialize. This is definitely far from the un-emo post I imagined but this will do for now.


I wrote this as a reflection prayer for our RS subject [Christian Prayers]. Maria and I decide to post our RS write-ups on our blog.


Assignment: Deadline Wednesday, NOv. 24, 2010. [nilagyan pa talaga-LOLz] Describe an incident form your childhood that had a profound effect on when and how you pray now.


As a child, I always wished that summers were endless. The fun of playing , exploring* and the idea of summer itself brings a zest of energy to my veins that whenever I think of the three school-less months, I was always excited.


Oo, may pagka-Dora the Explorer din ako noon.


It was one particular May morning and I woke up filled with the excitement of rolling over the fields or finally having my revenge against the street bullies. I'm not exactly a trouble maker but I am the 'lampayatot' kid-the chicken in our gang.


I remembered a hot blazing sun that day which thrilled me more. I sat at our front porch and waited for my friends. I was probably bored and grew impatient of waiting that I finally asked my mother why there weren't any kids outside.


"They all went to church Jom (my pet name). It's Flores de Mayo. Don't you want to go there too?" she retorted.*


May dialogue pa talaga ha. I laughed after typing that line. This IS too much for a reflection paper.


Church? I remember the dark pillars and funny looking people. It was a boring place to go and I wondered why my friends were there. I ran to church that instant. To my surprise, it was certainly far from what I expected. The altar was decorated with flowers and children of all ages were there, they too, carrying flowers.One of my friends approached me and said that we were going to be classmates. I wanted to ask her why she was here but I was too astounded that I kept silent.


We sat next to each other in one of the mahogany benches and listened to our teacher as she taught us the story of Adam and Eve and other stuff. She was a teenager and I thought she probably didn't know what she was talking about (I was rather sinister then-hehe).


After the lessons we participated in the rosary and I prayed fervently to God that He will bring back the summer that I imagined. He didn't answer my prayer. I went back the next day and the day after that mostly because of the snacks but I became tired that eventually I stopped going.


Church to me then was boring and people only go because they are obliged or because they are given something in return (e.g. snacks)*. But as I grew up, I became aware of its importance,. Only then did I realize why God didn't answer my prayer that day.


I realized that Flores de Mayo isn't just a lame excuse to forbid children from basking in the sun. It actually trains children to become citizens of God; teaches the values of the religion; and promotes the art of prayer.


This childhood experience humbled me.




Hahaha. This is one weird post. Regrets. Regrets. Regrets.

6 comments:

  1. oii.. RS niya iya gi-post. ayeee! abi kay 95 percent? hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahah i thought kitang duha nag-decide nga ipost ni xa. kakaloka ka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ayos! i support fellow "frustrated writers."
    .
    .
    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @desole boy: tinchu tinchu for the support^^ but i don't think you are a "frustrated writer"
    you write waaaaaay better than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. haven't got the time..i keep forgetting.
    nakakahiya naman, 94 lang yung sakin. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @key: hahah 93 lng to ante. hindi ko pa pinost 'yung award winning 95 ko. hahahah!

    ReplyDelete